Photo Of Kyle B. Sawyer
Photo Of Kyle B. Sawyer

Charged With A Crime? It Doesn’t Mean You’re Guilty.

Failure To Report An Accident

Colorado Failure To Report An Accident Attorney

The driver of a vehicle involved in a traffic accident resulting in injury to, serious bodily injury to or death of any person or any property damage is required to report the accident to the police. Even if the damage isn’t that great, it is necessary to take the necessary precaution and contact the police. A slight ding, if later reported by the other party involved in the wreck, could lead to a criminal conviction on your end. Additionally, if a car comes to an auto repair shop and there are signs of damage (or even bullet holes), the auto shop is legally required to report the damage to authorities. Section 42-4-1606, C.R.S.

The information provided must include: location, the driver’s name, the driver’s address, and the registration number of the vehicle.

The person who caused the accident, additionally has the responsibility to see that the person hit receives medical attention. Receiving medical attention could be calling an ambulance, or even taking the person to a physician, surgeon or hospital if requested by the person.

In the event of an accident, a police officer doesn’t have to file a report if the total amount of the incident is suspected to be under $1,000, unless specifically requested to do so by one of the parties involved in the accident, or if one of the parties fails to provide insurance.

Failure to report an accident to the police with all necessary information may result in a Class 2 misdemeanor.

We have been defending people against allegations of failure to report an accident for over 18 years, in Denver, Douglas, Adams, Arapahoe, Jefferson and other Colorado counties. We’re prepared to fight for your freedom. If you or a loved has been contacted by the police regarding a failure to report an accident, be smart, exercise the right to remain silent, and contact Sawyer Legal Group, LLC, or call us at 303-731-0719. Together, we can protect your future.

Facing Charges? Get Help Now!