Courts, Probation And Procedures
State of Colorado courts are divided into county court and district court. The county court is authorized to handle misdemeanor cases and the early portions of felony cases, including bond setting and preliminary hearings. District courts handle mainly felonies, although they can take misdemeanor pleas. Most often, we represent clients in the Denver metro area in Adams County, Arapahoe County, Denver County, Douglas County and Jefferson County. However, we frequently travel out of the metro area and represent clients in every other county in the state. We have traveled to Yuma County in the east, Mesa County in the west, Larimer County to the north and Las Animas County in the south.
Colorado also has city courts, which are called municipal courts. You will find cities like Lakewood, Denver, Aurora, Broomfield, Westminster and Thornton, which have municipal courts. Municipal courts handle only misdemeanor cases. Here, assistant city attorneys do the job that deputy district attorneys do in the county and district courts.
The probation department generally works for the courts, and its employees work for the state judicial department. We frequently see probation officers doing their utmost to protect the court and its orders. Although not technically required, the district attorney’s office frequently handles problems or violations of probation terms that come to the attention of the probation department.
For more information on courts, probation, police and procedures, give us a call. We have been working with these agencies and their procedures for 19 years. To identify the location of your county court and judicial districts, see the State Map page. To locate your county and cities within, see our County/City Map. If you are having problems with the court or probation, be smart, exercise your right to remain silent and call us today at 303-731-0719. Together, we can protect your future.
- Arrest and Jail Process
- Attempt to Commit a Crime
- Attorney Fees for Criminal Cases
- Bail/Bond Procedures
- Colorado Courts Map
- Conspiracy to Commit a Crime
- Contempt Charges by a Court
- Counties in Colorado: Find your County
- Court Hearings in Criminal Cases
- Entrapment as a Defense
- Expungement of Juvenile Records
- Extradition to and from Colorado
- Insanity and Incompetency
- Jury Trials – When & Why?
- Miranda Rights
- Municipal/Petty Crime Record Sealing
- Municipal Courts
- Plea Bargains
- Presentence Investigative Report
- Probation Sentence / Probation Officers
- Probation Violations
- Record Sealing
- Restitution from Criminal Convictions
- Sealing of Drug Convictions in Colorado
- Sentencing in Criminal Cases
- Subpoena Service of Process
- Violation of Bail Bond Conditions
- Voting with a Felony or Misdemeanor