Photo Of Kyle B. Sawyer
Photo Of Kyle B. Sawyer

Charged With A Crime? It Doesn’t Mean You’re Guilty.

Cocaine Possession

Cocaine Possession — Denver, Colorado Attorney

Cocaine possession in Denver and throughout Colorado is a serious felony offense. Because of cocaine’s serious legal status, small quantity possessions as little as a few grams can result in a life-altering felony conviction. Call us for a free consultation in the Denver area to speak with a full-time criminal defense lawyer to evaluate your specific circumstances.

Cocaine: Schedule II Drug In Adams County

Cocaine is classified as a Schedule II drug, meaning it has some recognized medical use, but has a high potential for abuse, and the abuse may lead to severe psychological or physical dependence. And, illegal possession is not just based on the pure white powder form of cocaine. If you are caught possessing 2 kg of Coca leaves (actual cocaine levels much lower), you will be charged with the same crime as possession of 2 kg powder in Adams County.

Diluting cocaine with other substances only increases the total volume of cocaine you will be charged with.

For example, if 40 grams of cocaine has been diluted to 5 percent cocaine and the remaining 95 percent with a tasteless filler, you will be charged with 40 grams of possession of Cocaine. Section 18-18-403.5, C.R.S.

Felony Cocaine Possession Charges In Jefferson County

If charged with possession of Cocaine in Jefferson County, your charges will be:

  • Four grams or less, Class 6 felony
  • More than four grams, Class 4 felony

A Class 4 felony has a significant potential prison sentence, with the presumptive sentencing range of two to six years in the Colorado Department of Corrections. A large quantity (kilogram or more) conviction, however, will result in a conviction of at least the maximum sentence (6 years) up to double the maximum (12 years). Section 18-18-204 C.R.S. See more on drug classifications and schedules in Colorado.

Arapahoe County Penalty For Distribution, Sale, And Manufacturing Of Cocaine

Remember that the penalties for distribution, sale or manufacture of cocaine in Arapahoe County are even higher than those listed above. For instance, any quantity violation of C.R.S. 18-18-405, dealing with the distribution, sale or manufacture of cocaine, is a Class 3 felony. Class 3 felonies are punishable by imprisonment in the Colorado Department of Corrections for mandatory minimums — ineligible for probation. As the quantity of Cocaine increases, so does the minimum required prison sentence. Contact our office for a free initial consultation with a criminal lawyer where we can wade through the complex sentencing scheme for offenses involving the distribution, sale or manufacturing of cocaine in Colorado.

In many cases, we have been able to work out a solution for our clients in circumstances that might have seemed hopeless to other attorneys.

Do I Need A Lawyer For Drug Possession Charges In Douglas County?

Absolutely. A drug-related possession charge could hurt your chances of a career, and be potentially embarrassing. On most job applications, they ask if you have any felony charges, and if so, to explain the conviction. In order to avoid the limitations of a drug-related felony charge in Douglas County, you need a Colorado lawyer experienced with serious criminal drug offenses.

We have been defending clients against charges of cocaine possession for over 20 years in Jefferson, Adams, Arapahoe, Denver, Douglas and every other Colorado county. If you or a loved one has been contacted by the government regarding cocaine possession, be smart, exercise your right to remain silent and call Sawyer Legal Group, LLC, at 303-731-0719. Together, we can protect your future.

Facing Charges? Get Help Now!