Harassment Denver Lawyer Says This is a Popular Crime Among Denver Police
Our criminal defense attorneys see a ton of charges from Denver police and Denver County prosecutors. Across Colorado, there is one crime which is charged the most, it is called Harassment, and is located at C.R.S. 18-9-111. Read more below to learn why police love this crime as their “go to” charge.
The Definition of Harassment in Arapahoe County, Colorado Criminal Cases
- With intent to harass, annoy or alarm another person, the accused strikes, shoves, kicks, or otherwise touches a person or subjects him to physical contact.
- In a public place, the accused directs obscene language or makes an obscene gesture to or at another person.
- The accused follows a person in or about a public place.
- The accused initiates communication with a person, anonymously or otherwise, by telephone or computer, in a manner intended to harass or threaten bodily injury or property damage, or makes any communication that is obscene.
- The accused makes a telephone call with no purpose of legitimate conversation or makes repeated communications at inconvenient hours that invade the privacy of another and interfere in the use and enjoyment of another’s home.
- The accused repeatedly insults, taunts, challenges or makes communication in offensively coarse language to another in a manner likely to provoke a violent or disorderly response.
Whether in Aurora, Littleton or Centennial, Harassment can be any one of the above subjects. Commonly, actions like pushing, slapping, calling on the phone repeatedly and flipping someone off in traffic, result in Harassment charges. But, why is this crime charged so frequently?
Douglas County Sheriffs Want to Please the Alleged Victim Witness
When someone gets mad and calls 911, police treat that person as if they are the customer of the police or sheriff. And, they want that person to be pleased with the service. This occurs because cops are worried they will get complaints or show up in the news medial with a complaint. There is nothing worse for their job security than a complaint. Police will do whatever is necessary to impress these callers. So, when a call comes in, officers in Castle Rock and Parker feel they must charge some crime – anything!
Harassment is an Easy Crime to Charge in Jefferson County and Adams County
Anyone can figure this out. Look at the list of conduct above. It is really broad. All a cop has to ask his “customer” and new best friend is, “did he ever slap you?” Did she ever call you a bad name on the phone?” “Has she ever gotten physical and laid a hand on you, ever?” Harassment has something for every cop . . . and in conflicted relationships, there is always something which constitutes Harassment. I have seen cops go back in time a year to find something to charge.
The Number 1 Charged Crime in Adams and Across Colorado
Police in Brighton and the Adams County Sheriff are the same. This is the go-to and most popular crime of Colorado law enforcement. In many cases, self defense is a great defense against these charges. Yet, to use this defense, you must not talk with Brighton Police. They will try and get you to say something which will prevent you from using one of these affirmative defenses like Self Defense. So, never talk with police. They are not your BFF, their “victim” is their BFF!
We are a full-time criminal defense law firm, where you can reach us 24/7. Call our defense lawyers at 303-731-0719. Together, we can protect your future.
Image Credit: FreeDigitalPhotos.net – David Castillo Dominici