Denver, Colorado Gun Rights Lawyer and the Constitutional Rights we Enjoy
We are firearms enthusiasts and attorneys who think the government has already gone too far in restricting our right to bear arms and possess guns. There is a constant friction between citizens’ rights to possess firearms and the government’s effort to take them away. We rely heavily on the 2nd Amendment to the United States Constitution and Colorado constitutional provisions to protect you from overly zealous police and prosecutors. Contact our gun rights lawyers if your possession of a firearm is being challenged by police in Colorado. Read a summary of Guns Laws and Rights in Colorado.
The 2nd Amendment on Firearms – Nothing Ambiguous Here – Jefferson County Lawyer
“A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.” Second Amendment, United States Constitution. Regrettably, judges have interpreted this language in such a way as to limit the way many people possess a gun. The bottom line as we see it, is that having a firearm protects our society’s existence. It does not endanger it. A firearm is the great equalizer when bad people try and take from the weak or nonaggressive in Lakewood, Arvada or anywhere in Jefferson County. Read more on the conflict between gun laws and the Second Amendment.
Colorado Constitution and Firearm Rights – A Denver County Defense Lawyer’s Review
Colorado has an even more clear provision in its constitution regarding citizens’ rights to possess guns: “The right of no person to keep and bear arms in defense of his home, person and property, or in aid of the civil power when thereto legally summoned, shall be called in question; but nothing herein contained shall be construed to justify the practice of carrying concealed weapons.” Art. II, § 13 (enacted 1876, art. II, § 13). Especially in Denver, Colorado, the city government is terrified that you have the right to carry a gun. They don’t want anyone but police to possess a handgun or rifle – and they want to control the police. It is strictly a power grab from liberal policy makers wanting control over everything. Fortunately, our state courts cannot ignore the plain language of our constitution and have struck down many of the Denver City Council’s attempts to disarm law abiding citizens.
Gun Crimes in Adams County and all Colorado – Attorneys Defending You
Many times, the use of a gun is appropriate for self defense and defense of property. Yet even with clear self defense laws, some police officers ignore the law and charge good men and women with crimes. Here is a list of the main crimes involving a firearm in Adams and Gilpin County:
- Illegal discharge of a firearm, C.R.S. 18-12-107.5
- Unlawfully carrying a concealed weapon – unlawful possession of weapons, C.R.S. 18-12-105
- Possession of a defaced firearm, C.R.S. 18-12-103
- Possessing a dangerous or illegal weapon, C.R.S. 18-12-102
- Possession of a weapon – previous offender, C.R.S. 18-12-108
- Possession of a handgun by juvenile, C.R.S. 18-12-108.5
- Unlawfully providing or permitting a juvenile to possess a handgun, C.R.S. 18-12-108.7
- Prohibited use of weapons, C.R.S. 18-12-106
- Unlawful purchase of firearms, C.R.S. 18-12-111
- Private firearms transfers, C.R.S. 18-12-112
- Use of stun guns, C.R.S. 18-12-106.5
- Unlawfully carrying a weapon – unlawful possession of weapons – school, college, or university grounds, C.R.S. 18-12-105.5
If you have been contacted by a police officer or sheriff in Douglas County or Arapahoe County, be careful not to make any statements, and call our firearm rights lawyers at 303-731-0719. Together, we can protect your future.
Image Credit: Pixabay – bykst