Photo Of Kyle B. Sawyer
Photo Of Kyle B. Sawyer

Charged With A Crime? It Doesn’t Mean You’re Guilty.

Minor in Possession of Alcohol in Arapahoe County, C.R.S. 18-13-122

On Behalf of | Mar 15, 2014 | Minor in Possession of Alcohol |

Are you drinking alcohol underage? Do you have a friend who is a minor and has been drinking at a party? Have you ever driven your car while you had alcohol inside the vehicle? If you answered ‘yes’ to any of these questions and you are under 21 years old, then you could be facing charges of Minor in Possession of Alcohol (Illegal Possession or Consumption of Ethyl Alcohol by an Underage Person, C.R.S. 18-13-122) in Boulder, Larimer, or Weld County.

If you have been to college at Colorado State University, University of Colorado, or the University of Northern Colorado, then you know that parties at those schools tend to have alcohol. But think twice before you chose to drink when you are underage. The consequences of having even just one beer could affect you for the rest of your life. For instance, a person who is convicted of an MIP can lose the ability to get subsidized student loans from the federal government. This punishment could result in thousands of dollars in future payments to the Department of Education.

Minors often wonder whether they could face an MIP charge in Arapahoe, Denver, and Adams County when they do not drink, but are simply present when their friends do consume alcohol. This answer depends on several factors. These factors include whether the person was touching the alcohol, where the alcohol was in correlation to the person when the police arrive, was the person in a vehicle with the alcohol, and was there an adult, or a person over the age of 21, present? The answer to these questions can mean the difference in a conviction for a Minor in Possession of Alcohol charge or a case being completely dismissed by the District Attorney.

When charged with an MIP in Jefferson, Douglas, or El Paso County, be sure and speak with a criminal defense attorney in the Denver metro area immediately. With the help of a knowledgeable lawyer, you might be able to escape potentially major penalties. It is always important to remember not to speak with the police or admit to anything when speaking with the police. The cops can be intimidating to a minor in possession of liquor, but try to keep calm and not say anything about the case. Never admit the alcohol was yours.

So, if you or a loved one has been charged with Minor in Possession, be smart, exercise your right to remain silent, and call our attorneys at 303-731-0719. Together, we can protect your future.