Photo Of Kyle B. Sawyer
Photo Of Kyle B. Sawyer

Charged With A Crime? It Doesn’t Mean You’re Guilty.

Contributing to the Delinquency of a Minor, C.R.S. 18-6-701

On Behalf of | Aug 1, 2012 | Contributing to the Delinquency of a Minor |

A Fort Lupton mom who provided alcohol to dozens of minors during a party at her home will spend three years on probation in Weld County, Colorado, for Contributing to the Delinquency of a Minor (C.R.S. 18-6-701) and Providing Alcohol to Minors (C.R.S. 12-47-901). This mother pleaded guilty to both charges and was sentenced in Weld County District Court this week. In addition to the probation, she will complete 180 hours of community service and extensive parenting classes.

In Arapahoe, Douglas, and Denver, County, Contributing to the Delinquency of a Minor is a Class 4 felony, and carries up to 6 years in prison and up to a $500,000 fine. The less serious charge in this case is the Providing Alcohol to Minors, which is a Class 1 misdemeanor, but it still carries the possibility of a year in jail. In order to prove Contributing to the Delinquency of a Minor, Adams, Jefferson, and Larimer County prosecutors must establish that a person induces, aids, or encourages a child to violate any federal, state, or municipal law.

It is likely that the Weld County District Attorney’s Office viewed this as an aggravated offense due to the fact that so many minors were involved in the incident. Additionally, some of the juveniles had blood alcohol levels as high as .173 and apparently this mother did not take away any car keys from the partygoers.

It can be very difficult to be a parent, and sometimes our kids have parties in our homes without our knowledge. If your children hosted a party in your home where alcohol was served and you have been accused of providing alcohol to minors or contributing to their delinquency, the attorneys at the O’Malley Law Office can help you fight the charges. Sometimes over-zealous prosecutors will charge parents with a crime even when they don’t know what their children are doing. If you are contacted by the police, be smart, exercise your right to remain silent, and call us today at 303-731-0719. Together, we can protect your future.