Sexual exploitation of a child charges in Littleton, Lakewood, or Golden can lead to devastating consequences. If someone possesses, produces, or distributes sexually explicit photos or videos of anyone under the age of 18, severe criminal charges can result. A former Colorado youth pastor recently pleaded guilty to sexual exploitation of a child after a situation that included many inappropriate behaviors with minors. Any criminal charge involving child pornography requires immediate representation from an experienced Colorado sex crimes attorney.
What is a Child Exploitation Charge in Colorado?
C.R.S. 18-6-403 defines the circumstances of Sexual Exploitation of a Child in Colorado. A person commits this sex offense in Lakewood or Littleton if they:
- possess sexually exploitative material,
- involving anyone under the age of 18,
- participating in erotic fondling, erotic nudity, intercourse, oral sex, or masturbation
Additionally, contributing in some manner to the production or distribution of these materials is also unlawful. These lewd photos or videos can be found on many different devices including hard drives, external storage, laptops, tablets, and smartphones. We often see cases where these materials are discovered via the exchange of electronic messages using texting apps and direct messaging on social media. It is essential that adults, and teenagers alike, be especially aware of what they send / receive on their devices.
What is the Sentence for Child Sexual Exploitation in Jefferson County?
A conviction of sexual exploitation of a child in Colorado can mean harsh consequences. Depending on specific acts in each case, potential penalties include:
- 1 – 12 years in the Colorado Department of Corrections
- fines of $1,000 – $750,000,
- Colorado sex offender registration,
- sex offender treatment,
- sex offender intensive supervised probation
While the incarceration period and steep fines are particularly impactful, the ramifications of registration, treatment, and supervision are also difficult. The restrictions on whereabouts, interaction with other people, and internet use can be incredibly isolating.
Jefferson County Sex Crimes Attorney
It is vital that anyone facing sex crime accusations or charges contact an experienced criminal defense attorney as soon as possible. A great deal is at stake and evidence against you may be mounting. We highly recommend that the accused take the following steps right away:
- Exercise your right to remain silent,
- Don’t provide police or investigators with statements of any kind,
- Refrain from talking about your situation with friends or via email, text, and social media,
- Contact Colorado’s best sex crimes attorneys at O’Malley & Sawyer, LLC
If you or someone you know is facing sexual exploitation of a child charges, be smart. Contact the strategic defense lawyers at O’Malley and Sawyer, LLC at 303-731-0719. Together, we can protect your future.
Photo Credit: Pexels – Jessica Lewis