Colorado has a Sentencing scheme set up to punish the more severe crimes like Murder, Sexual Assault and Kidnapping, more severely. These are typically classified in Jefferson and Adams County as class 1, class 2 and class 3 felonies. Less serious felony crimes like Menacing, Assault and Forgery may be classified as class 4, class 5 and class 6 felonies. Read more about Concurrent vs. Consecutive Sentences.
Sentence Ranges for Felony Crimes
As a general rule, the following is the normal sentencing range for felony crimes in Colorado:
- Class One Felony, Life in prison to the death sentence
- Class Two Felony, 8-24 years in prison
- Class Three Felony, 4-12 years in prison
- Class Four Felony, 2-6 years in prison
- Class Five Felony, 1-3 years in prison
- Class Six Felony, 1 year to 18 months in prison
In some cases special felony charges are sentenced at heightened levels, as Extraordinary Risk crimes. Criminal defense attorneys in Colorado know that class 3, 4, 5 and 6 felonies have special, Extraordinary Risk classifications which impact sentencing ranges, as follows:
- Class 3 Extraordinary Risk Felony, 4-16 years in prison
- Class 4 Extraordinary Risk Felony, 2-8 years in prison
- Class 5 Extraordinary Risk Felony, 1-4 years in prison
- Class 6 Extraordinary Risk Felony, 1-2 years in prison
What are Extraordinary Risk Crimes?
Each crime has its own class of felony designation. Those with the Extraordinary Risk classification in Denver and Arapahoe County include Aggravated Robbery, Child Abuse, Controlled substances with the intent to distribute, crimes of violence, Stalking, felony Invasion of Privacy for Sexual Gratification and Human Trafficking for Servitude crimes. All of these crimes will have a longer sentencing range possible.
Whatever the felony you are being accused of in Douglas or Eagle County, you need the best criminal defense lawyer at your side. The government takes pride in sending men and women to prison for felony crimes. Don’t be their victim. Exercise your constitutional right to remain silent and then call us at 303-731-0719. Together, we can protect your future.