Charged With A Crime? It Doesn’t Mean You’re Guilty.

Contributing to the Delinquency of a Minor is “Magic” in Denver

On Behalf of | Jul 8, 2013 | Contributing to the Delinquency of a Minor |

Thanks to Colorado lawmakers, I have a formula for turning even the smallest of crimes into a felony. Here is the answer: C.R.S. 18-6-701. This crime is labeled “Contributing to the Delinquency of a Minor” in Arapahoe, Douglas and Broomfield County . It is magic because if a child is charged with ANY crime and you can be said to have “induced, aided, or encouraged” the child in any way, it is a felony charge by you. You ask whether I am crazy, right?

Three Examples of Contributing to the Delinquency of a Minor

Let’s pick a small crime like shoplifting a pack of gum. If you sent your child inside the store and waited outside knowing what he was up to, you will have aided him in the petty theft, which means you can be charged with the felony of Contributing to the Delinquency of a Minor in Denver, Adams and Jefferson County. Another crime: Let’s say you and your child shoot off fireworks like you did when you were a child. You gave your boy the firecrackers which are outlawed in Colorado. You have just committed a felony by inducing, aiding or encouraging the violation of the law by a minor. One more: Your son’s bicycle is stolen from a bully. You encourage him to go over and get it back. He enters the bully’s backyard and gets his bike. He is charged with trespassing for going into the back yard. You will be charged with the felony because you “encouraged” him to break the law.

Special Interests Groups at Work

Each of these examples may seem ridiculous, but they are the law in Colorado. We can’t seem to escape the crazy and irrational application of law to situations in Colorado. This happens because legislators are more concerned with pleasing special interest groups than they are passing laws which make sense. The “protect the children” crowd shows up and law makers quiver in their shoes because doing the right thing (like telling them to take a hike) might anger them.

You don’t have to suffer a ruined career with a felony for Contributing to the Delinquency of a Minor. We have a good chance of getting you out of a felony if you can refrain from answering the questions of police. So, if you are contacted by police, don’t try and talk your way out of being charged. Instead, be smart, exercise your right to remain silent, and call our experienced criminal defense lawyers at 303-731-0719. Together, we can protect your future.