Denver Failure to Report Child Abuse Lawyer: Mandatory Reporters
Certain professions in Colorado must report any Child Abuse (C.R.S. 18-6-401) they have reasonable cause to know about (C.R.S. 19-3-304). This would include any reasonable cause to know of Sexual Assault on a Child (18-3-405) or Sexual Exploitation of a Child (18-6-403) in Denver, Douglas, Adams, Arapahoe or Jefferson County Colorado.
Mandatory Reporters in Jefferson County: Who is Required to Report?
It is a class 3 misdemeanor, punishable by up to six months in jail and up to a $750 fine, for the following professions to fail to report suspected Child Abuse:
- Child health associates;
- Worker in a licensed child care facility or agency
- Physicians or surgeons, including physicians in training;
- Registered nurses or licensed practical nurses;
- Hospital personnel engaged in the admission, care, or treatment of patients;
- Medical examiners or coroners;
- Chiropodist or podiatrists;
- Christian science practitioners;
- Public or private school officials or employees;
- Peace officers;
- Commercial film and photographic print processors;
- Licensed professional counselors;
- Licensed marriage and family therapists;
- Unlicensed psychotherapists;
- Clergy members (but not if the reasonable cause is acquired only through a privileged communication);
- Social workers;
- Mental health professionals;
- Dental hygienists;
- Physical therapists;
- Registered dietitians;
- Juvenile parole and probation officers;
- Child and family investigators;
- Officers and agents of the state bureau of animal protection;
- Animal control officers;
- Victim’s advocates;
- Workers in the state department of human services.
Adams County Failure to Report Attorney
Additionally, members of these professions in Aurora, Golden, Westminster, Thornton or any other Colorado city will be liable for any damages caused by their failure to report child abuse. In order to prove this crime, Colorado prosecutors do not need to prove that you actually knew about the abuse, only that you reasonably should have known about it.
If you are a member of one of these respected professions and have been accused of failing to report child abuse, do not let these accusations tarnish your professional reputation. The experienced attorneys at the O’Malley Law Office can protect you from a criminal conviction in Arapahoe, Weld, and Larimer County, or any other Colorado County in which you face charges. Be smart, exercise your right to remain silent and call us at 303-731-0719. Together, we can protect your future.